Thursday, April 2, 2009

Susan has now not only survived a tornado, sandstorm, torrential downpour with thunder and lighting but a nice little sting from a scorpion

I have survived a lot in my life, I am a warrior and my family and friends know it...

Highlights: Tornado's while growing up, Massive earthquakes in CA, the military stuff, the Berkeley Hills fire, Berkeley in general, turf wars of gangs in Oakland which is kind of like being taken out by the Masai, 9-11, tropical depressions on a faraway island, almost being bought as the 26th wife by a Masai tribesman in Africa, Malaria from India....you know the usual girl from Indiana stuff.

The funny thing about it is that as much as life throws at me, I take a deep breath and am happy to be alive, hopefully a little wiser in the process learning from my mistakes and adventures but none the less happy to be six ft above ground everyday when I open my eyes. I have all my fingers and toes, two healthy children, a roof over my head, food in my kids mouths, a wonderful inner circle and no one is shooting at me (currently, hopefully not anytime soon either). It is all just a journey and I am sucking it all in! So the thoughts for this week (as I am returning to NYC for approx a month for surgery)is the following:

I never knew that the UAE and Oman had tornado's, lightening like I have never seen and thunder that is like a nuke going off in your bedroom, torrential downpours that flood the highways, Sandstorms (I knew about these) However my newest surprise decided that the weather outside was to dangerous and wet for his or her liking and decided to come into my car (through a vent perhaps, who knows) and as I finished dinner at the Intercontinental with my favorite Canadians I went into my car and sat down and got a huge sharp sting in my lower back! Ouch! I put my hand back there to see if I could find what stung me but no luck. I could feel the pain radiating out and feeling kind of funny. I called Dr. Bill on my way back to the camp and told him what had happened. I was only 5 minutes from home. So I got there he gave me massive dose of antihistimines, a glass of white wine and then cleaned the area and looked for a stinger of some sort. No stinger... He suspected a scorpion. No biggie he didn't hit me by my heart! So I fell asleep with ice on my back, and the Dr. Watching over me as I slept on the couch. No anaphylectic shock today.

So when I returned to the car the next day my friend R~ made me check my car before getting in...and sure enough there was a dead scorpion on the floor mat of my car....Oh well at least I now have immunities to one of the 27 or so species that exist in the desert! 26 to go....eh it wasn't that bad....I am still 6ft above ground, however will be a bit more careful when climbing into ground related structures...

Much love to all, your crazy geek in the desert,

Susan

No comments: