Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Twitter Unfollowed Me.... UH UH No I DIDNT!

Problem: 

Twitter keeps un following my tweeps! 

(The average user doesn't care about Ruby or the lack of SQL, so I'll post tech light and then follow up with the XLS comparison next post)

Quick fix:

1.  Apparently the bug does not affect your lists.  (I've tested this over the past week, I haven't had an issue with it yet)

A little about lists: 
You can put people on lists without following them.   
In the past when I've been placed in "Twitter Jail" not being able to follow anymore Tweeps (but found that diamond in the rough), I wanted to make sure I continued to follow.
I simply put them into a private list as a holding pattern and then follow when I am released from Twitter Jail.

Quick Fix Solution to this irritating problem:

Place all the Tweeples into lists as an "insurance policy".  Then you don't really "lose" and you have some way of tracking the losses. 

2.  I've started testing out different stuff to manage lists but my favorite thus far:  

www.socialbro.com

If you look at the below screen shot you will see the "recently unfollowed"

The dropdown box at the top gives you some awesome flexibility.



The various interfaces can be a bit busy for an average user but has some awesome functionality when you dig into it a bit.  I've had fun playing with the dashboard.

I usually update it once per day and see how wacked out Twitter is acting on that day.

The export and compare function for the more geek heavy solution is up next.  SocialBro has an export function.



So if you combine Number 1 and Number 2 you should have a pretty accurate comparison without going deep into the next solution.

Im sure that there are really smart people that have come up with something far more elegant than my immediate band aid little solution.  If so could you share :-)

Comment below if you think there is something else I need to try to for a good solution (I'm great at breaking stuff, testing it, etc.)

No comments: