Monday, April 22, 2013

Dear Dad...Articulating a part of what I actually do....

Many people ask:  What do you do Susan?

Susan's standard answer:  "I'm a geek".

Which suffices for many... but then there is my wonderful Dad.

Boiling it down into a very simple statement sometimes is difficult (especially when explaining it to people who really despise the computer, like my Dad).

"Dad... I figure out what to do with "digital stuff".... 1's and 0's". 

Which is quickly followed by a "Huh"? 

I try to explain: "Dad, If you were a business:  I'd ask you what do you have, what do you do with it, and why does it matter?"  Essentially why do you do what you do, How do you do it, What do you do it with, how do your competitors do it better.... and then in the end Explain: Why does it matter?"

Followed by another quizzical look.....

"Dad, I am in part a researcher, an analyst and.... and.... I am kind like a glob of glue....that holds it together.  I listen to the client, then understand the business context of different kinds of (sometimes very diverse) information: why it was created, how it's currently being used to create value (if any) and understanding the inherent future value of that information in your business context."

"Hmm-mm, so why does that create value?" (Bottom line mentality of my Dad)

 Note: Oh goodness... If I can't explain it to my Dad... then I must need remedial communication classes. 

"Dad, I'm also a kind of information firefighter meets fire code inspector, meets... well you get the picture .... in an information risk perspective.... After figuring out the Who, What, Why and Where, I then examine and apply the risks associated with different kinds of information: the risk of losing, of not having it available, of inadvertently allowing to leak outside the organization, etc.  and how it will affect you then how can we provide people, processes or technology to mitigate that risk back into an acceptable level."

Dad: "OK so you are a firefighter.... I kind of get that.... but what exactly do you do with the information to create value, besides mitigating risk to acceptable levels"?

Me (realizing my audience and being patient): "Dad, if you understand  the opportunity associated with unlocking additional value of existing, and future information gathered, (that could be correlating it in new directions,  presenting to new parts of the business, or using it to create a new untapped revenue stream in the business, mitigating substantial risk) THAT is value added.

This is followed by an emphatic series of hand waving, scribbles on a white board, any available piece of scrap paper, or if none of the above are available.. I always have a pencil, so then... on the top of my laptop.

So I ask myself.. trying to make my scribbles mean something in my head before going back to scribbling:  "What does technology do for you?"  I understand the potential of what technology can do.... and often wonder if people & businesses truly understand exactly why they utilize technology in the first place?  However, many businesses don't completely understand what information they have, why it is important, how to use it best, and how to protect it?  Let alone what risk exposure it causes their business.
 
I=Information (which we seem to have forgotten: Data is our product) which is enabled by T=Technology. I+T= IT----> Information Technology

We gather, store, analyze and provide information... remember?  Getting the right information to the right people at the right time in your business so the "Profit Center" can make better decisions which then effect your bottom line.

Digest...Digest... Digest... and....

"Dad, think of me as a architect on a house... why these discussions (load bearing walls) are important to have...but I don't get wrapped into the minutiae of building that wrestles with the color of the (load bearing) walls (usually... but sometimes)." 

As I always say: We need to create it with fit, form and function clearly understood and in the front of our mind.

Dad: "And the glop of glue thing"?

Me: "Well I speak geek and business so I translate business into klingon :) I'm the conduit.... the glop of glue..."

Dad: "That sounds like a good thing... but you might need to come up with another analogy... that's kind of gross"... LOL

I research, analyze and understand exactly how a technology is used to support different business processes, the risks associated with mishandling or misusing technology, the people and the technology associated with that risk.  How the current state technology could be enhanced, through searching and correlating with other types of information, maybe about customers for the business..... Then articulate in clear business terms exactly why this technology (or its replacement) is important to this business, and not just an individual business function.

Then I plant the SME (Subject Matter Expert) seeds: (The A'ha moment Giving SME technologists direction on how to think about potential technological applications from a business perspective, then how to evaluate various approaches to that technology in a larger context with added business value..... )  So I guess Im an Architect AND a Farmer :) (Note:  I always wanted to be a farmer... slow food :)

Think my business= Figuring out the puzzle pieces of: People, business & processes then creating effective, efficient technology to streamline business and increase your bottom line. 

That Dad is what I do....Plus a couple other things.... Love you.

1 comment:

bill purkins said...

You are missed on Twitter. What happened?
Bill Purkins