Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Future Explained in Data for My 10 Year Old Daughter

My daughter asked me the following question today: (while I was mulling over the current taxes, muttering about responsible spending): "why do we pay taxes? And “why do they always want to raise them”?

I have a very strict policy with myself (never say I don't know and walk away) If I don't know, I admit it immediately and the research ensues TOGETHER so we BOTH learn something new.... Let the dialogue begin and research light up the atmosphere! "Ah another puzzle to solve" says my daughter. I wink and say, “Are you ready Detective Daughter"? Her reply "Let it ROCK"!

After both of us scouring the Internet and Wikipedia: I mulled over the data in my mind.... I told her, “I need a little quiet time to try to digest my pencil scribbles on my scratch piece of paper”...She said, "Mommy take a deep breath you are getting those lines between your eyebrows...relax".

An analogy of a Praying Mantis from PIMCO's William H. Gross really hit a disturbing cord in my being:

We are all, more than likely, doomed to be mantis-like – some of us eating, some of us being eaten, but none quite aware as to why we are at the dinner table in the first place.

Americans, unlike their developed world counterparts, have been eating their fill lately, and supping at a dinner table laden with pork and tax breaks for all. Unequivocally, we have been playing the part of the female mantis, munching on the theoretical heads of future generations, while paying no mind to the wretches that will eventually be called upon to pay the bills.
~William H. Gross

Little did I know how much our "puzzle solving expedition would upset me"....




I tried to hide my extreme displeasure at the "Reality" of her future (and mine for that matter) I wanted her to draw her own conclusion from the data. So I began by explaining to her, “there are "good taxes" and "bad taxes".... “Good taxes are Police, Education, Hospitals, Veterans Benefits and things that provide for the future that make us grow”.

Then she asked how much we spend on "good taxes" vs. "bad taxes"?

I said, “The United States Government spends in her name (yes hers!) (And also per capita, all those other nameless taxpayers):

You Pay: $3,000.00 per person per year on the Defense Budget

In comparison to the:

Paying $450.00 for her teachers and education. (What is wrong with this picture Jeeze a WHOPPING $450 per person to educate people? Argh, I didn’t say it but I wanted too)

That got me a serious look, the serious look of a 10 year old girl... a crinkle of the left eye and a tilt of the head....

“So I pay $3,000 a year to kill people?”

And $450.00 to educate me?"

I couldn't contain my complete disdain at this point any longer...but I maintained my calm non-inflected voice and said:

"Oh it gets much better Sweetie"....

The United States Government has taken out an "invisible credit card" in your name and decided that they would charge $48,000.00 to that "invisible credit card". So not only do you have to pay off the $48,000.00 BUT in addition to the principal you have to pay another $800.00 in interest on a yearly basis and it's going up as we speak.

You also pay $2,500.00 per year to pay for the retirement pension for those people in the government who got you that "invisible credit card"...

I tried to turn the discussion around to the positive side (but as one of my friends says: "you can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig)...(Thanks SK)


"So Sweetie: lets focus on the good taxes"...

You pay: $2,800 so that your grandma and mother can get cheap health care. Although cheap doesn’t necessarily mean good.


You pay: $330.00 for transportation and roads.

You pay: $183.00 for courts.

(This one killed me!!!! Of which I will go into a full-blown rant next post!!! Remind me)

You pay: $50.00 for Basic research...(Will someone please define what "basic research" is exactly?)

She will also pay about $60.00 on something called "farm income stabilization"...."But Mom what's that"? She says. I state: (we will have to do some more detective work but I think) "that's when they pay "Federal Crop Insurance" and into something called the "Credit Commodity Fund".

I try to reassure her with: "Honey, Don't worry about the small things". (Although they do all add up)...."It's kind of like your brother pick pocketing you versus him taking your debit card and stealing all your allowance and savings".... Focus on the BIG things. Remember what I always quote.... she says, "Yes, I know.... Mom...Sun Tzu: Choose your wars wisely".

Back to the "good things" taxes go toward: You pay: $1,500.00 for welfare on your behalf...

You pay: $611.00 for something called "social exclusions". "What's the heck is that Mom?"

(My head is going to explode.....)

"Eeeeeekkk! I don't know...we will have to research that"...


She states the obvious: "So we spend $611.00 for something we don't even know what it is? And $450.00 for education and $50.00 for BASIC RESEARCH?!!!"


“So by the time you start working you will be paying 2,500 in interest per year and who knows what your entitlements will be?”...

“What the HECK!”!!!!!


She pauses then says, “So let me get this straight: If I asked congress how to spend my allowance and savings : they would say from your allowance: We will give a 1/3 to your brother to buy air soft guns to shoot people, give us another 1/3 to pay for “their” retirement and another 1/3 for health care “? I say, “Yes, but don’t forget to add an extra 1/3 for paying interest to whichever country we owe the interest and debt”? “Mommy that’s 4/3'rds”... “Yes, I know dear...They expect you to borrow an extra 1/3... Congressmen like to spend 4/3. You just borrow it.”...

WAKE UP AMERICA! Stop being the “Headless Praying Mantis”

For our children’s sake!

1 comment:

Steve said...

I love the way you allow your daughter to find her own questions, and then take them seriously. This is how children learn to be adults (a transition that unfortunately far too few are making nowadays). Good for you