Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fireworks & Fourth Of July For C&S

Many moons ago (In my other life as Great Grandma used to say) I lived in a fabulous NYC apt in which every window overlooked "The Lady With The Fire" (AKA The Statue of Liberty ;) It was magnificent and every Sunday the Queen Mary 2 would sail down the Hudson River.  


My kids had THE most spectacular time watching "the boats" parade by the floor to ceiling windows.... EXCEPT there was one problem: 


Fireworks... Thrilling to most kids... but my kids at that age didn't like the noise & light.... So I improvised and came up with a pretty darn good/easy solution... and I wrote about it for them years ago so they could share it with their kids some day ;)  


Fireworks For S&C:



Fireworks are noisy
Fireworks are bright
Fireworks surprise me
Always in the night

The first time I saw them
I got scared and cried
I called to my mommy
So here's the plan we tried

The booms and the flashes
felt like thunder and lightning
she bought us sunglasses and earplugs
and pinky swore that all would be right

In our big snuggle chair
My Mom held me tight
We cuddled up close
And I felt allright

Fireworks will be noisy
And they will be bright
but now they amaze me
with so many pretty lights


So I took out my "mickey mouse ears" I used at the range, bought 2 pairs of kids sunglasses and sat them down between me in my double papasan chair with pretzels and milk and the rest is history...

For you S&C you are my sun, my stars, I love you more than the universe & up to the sky.... Googolplex Infinity (Yes, C&S I know there is nothing bigger than infinity... I just still like to say it that way) Love, Mommy  

3 comments:

Lynn Bukowski said...

There is nothing sweeter or more worthwhile than creating memories and on purpose traditions. This touched my heart.

Lynn Bukowski said...

There is nothing sweeter than creating memories and on purpose tradition. This touched my heart.

The Nomadic Adventures: I am a traveler, a seeker of truth, all through a series of life enriching trials and experiences... said...

I have a great picture of them hanging out in front of the window watching the QM2 (or some big ship o' sorts floating by) but I figured C & S would NOT be happy campers if I posted that photo given their advancing age... ;)