Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Model UN: The UAE



Living in the UAE is absolutely fascinating. Especially from a cultural perspective.

My office for instance: We have representations from all around the world: Syria, UAE, Egyptian, USA, Pakistan, Bangledesh, India, Oman, Sudan, etc.... We all work side by side.

It reminds me of NYC in a way.

I have had no problems with anyone since my arrival. I have been in the middle of the desert, the middle of industrial areas, work camps, regions, and I have always felt warmly welcomed even as the only blonde female (or just female for that matter) for a couple of km.

I think the most fun that I have had was on the Prophet Mohammeds birthday. I saw a group of workers (all different nationalities) playing soccer in the dust (by where the camels live). I stopped got out of my car and in my broken, Arabic, Hindi and Urdu mix asked if I could play with them. Although I wasnt able to "high five" any of them because they were all men, I had a blast, laughed, smiled and got dusty with all of them.

The other fun place I have gone is the Intercontinental in Al Ain. There is always a traditional wedding festivity, a bunch of expats and a broad mix of locals. I go to the horse and jockey (british pub) and sit out on the veranda and get on the internet and watch people. The crowd is fabulous. I quickly made friends with the team from Canada who are there for the next month and have developed quite a fondness of my colorful neighbors to the north! Whenever I am there now, there is always someone who comes to my table...Austrian, Canadian, German etc.

Last night was Bingo night at the H&J as everyone calls it... What a blast! You could win a steak dinner at the hotel for a full card or a drink for a line :-) One of my favorite Canadians "George" is now the "caller" and he is great.

Lots of fun as always, I am still alive and breathing.

No comments: