Saturday, February 14, 2009

My Haircut.....

It is Wednesday night...I have an important meeting in Medinat Zayad, the FAR western region of Abu Dhabi


View Larger Map

With the Western Region Municipality. A very important first meeting....So I haven’t had a haircut since I was last in Oregon with Matt in May 2008. I have been swimming and beaching it for the last 8 months in Guam. I decide that perhaps it is time for a little tune up. My theory is that a 5 star hotel is very safe bet considering that ALL the “Salons” I have seen thus far are for MEN ONLY.

Fortunately, for me they are open VERY late. I leave work around 1830 and walk in..I had gone in 2 days before to scope out the "health club" and noticed a nice salon that was open late. The supremely nice woman that had greeted me is from the Philippines..Comforting, I am missing my friends on Guam.

I walk in and the same woman is there to greet me. I say hello and she disappears to the back. A gentleman comes out and asks if I have an appointment. I respond, "No I do not have an appointment but had inquired 2 days prior and had been advised that it wouldn’t be an issue"

There is now a girl (with braces and short hair) waiting. He responds that I will have to wait until he is finished with her.... I tell him that is fine (thinking she has short hair, not knowing the high maintenance involved with straightening and washing and girl things). I proceed to have the wonderfully kind woman "thread” my eyebrows. If I am going to sit here, I might as well look good for the time! She proceeds to "thread" my eyebrows with complete and exquisite attention to detail. I have never been more happy with a "threading" job outside of NYC!

I am feeling quite comfortable with the whole UAE salon experience. I finally get to see the "hairdresser" a nice Egyptian who after about 5 minutes I realize does not speak very good English. I think to myself, he will understand "only a trim” HA

Picture Edward Scissor hands with my back to the mirror!



Just so you can visualize! OMG!

Hair flying everywhere! Just like when he is trimming the bushes! Goodness, I had heart palpitations. All I could use as a mantra was: "it will grow back, it will grow back.”

Lesson learned: make sure you use Google translate or something similar before getting your hair cut! Print it out and hand it to the hairdresser.... I like it long does or just a trim does not necessarily have the same connotation in multiple cultures....

I will live...argh!

Pictures to follow!

No comments: