Sunday, February 15, 2009

Friday: Driving To Dubai

It is Friday. Our one full day off in the UAE. Dr. Sowell says I should see Dubai... I would rather stay in bed and collapse from exhaustion. However, I rally and decide, yes, it would be a good thing to go and meet new people and see what everyone is talking about...The wonderful world of Dubai.

The drive to Dubai is uneventful and gives me time to think about where I am from and how I arrived here in the quietness of the car ride.

The drive is almost exactly the same in time (without traffic) from Al Ain to Dubai as the drive from South Bend to Chicago.

When we were kids in South Bend it was a HUGE deal to be able to go to "the big city" and see all of the tall buildings, people, just notice that everything is well...Different.

I felt like a kid again going from Al Ain (which is not small by any means, it has 3 universities, a museum, 2 five star hotels and lots of other incredible things but it is not Dubai) to Dubai. Wide eyed and breathing it all in...

Had I been in NYC I would have labeled myself as a gawky tourist...looking up at buildings and such. When I first arrive in an environment I am always afraid I will miss something...Sort of like I am in a "hyper awareness mode” I’m not very good at having conversations when I am in this mode because I am too busy looking at everything to read your lips AND comprehend what you are saying all while processing the minute details of everything in my visual spectrum. I most likely do NOT make a good travel partner on the first day if you are the sort that likes to chat it up. It is amazing I have had people tell me that when they first met me they thought I was "stuck up" or "aloof.” Just because I am, quiet...LOL

As we drive towards Dubai, it appears as an oasis...just popping out of the desert. Amazing architecture and beautiful glass everywhere. Spotlessly clean.

We arrive by the Jumeirah beach to meet some people. They are in a house FULL of expats...It really is like a mini United Nations, absolutely fabulous. Tanzania, Sweden, Brazil, Brits, U.S.... Etc. Completely fascinating and they all live together AND get along. Definitely a model for the world to follow.

We all walk out to the street as no one wants to drive if they have anything to drink (I am not quite comfortable enough to race around Dubai quite yet) and hop in a taxi. We pass Media City..., which I can tell I will be spending quite a bit of time meeting people there. Cisco, HP, Dell, Microsoft... all the major manufacturers have offices there. WOOHOOOO a Geeks dream all in one place! Once you park, you don't have to drive and perhaps get it all done in one day!

We arrive at the hotel where the brunch is and walk into the door...It is almost like Alice in Wonderland. A British Pub/Restaurant in the middle of the desert! I was quite surprised. Once again, it was the mini United Nations. Everyone has Friday off...They all come out for brunch, no matter where you are from. The food was amazing, So many fresh vegetables, pasta, and eggs, (if you eat it, fish, chicken, shepherds pie etc) I ate more than my share!

After stuffing our faces, we head out to The Palm Jumeirah Dubai, United Arab Emirates on "the trunk of the palm tree" which you can see from satellite:


View Larger Map

To meet up with a couple from SA (I think LOL). Another couple shows up and we decide to head back so that they can play 5-card stud and relax! I am most likely the only American over the age of 21 that does NOT know how to play 5-card stud poker..., which is ok with me. I take over the kitchen and cook for everyone...Rice, fabulous curry with chicken. I eat rice and sauce so good...It made me miss Emily's cooking and Bicol! YUMMMMY.

We relaxed for a nice while and then started the drive back to Al Ain. I am very glad I rallied instead of being a recluse. The culture is amazing in Dubai. More later...

I hope all are well...out for now.

No comments: