Friday, February 13, 2009

Day 1: My first day of work....

0530am is the first call for prayer and the time I roll out of bed to begin to get ready for work. The call of the Mosque is my alarm clock now :-)

My first day of work.

We leave for work at 0730. I arrive at the office with Dr. Sowell. I have been instructed on the car ride that not to shake hands with a man unless they offer their hand first. This will be very difficult for me for the following reasons:

1. I am a very affectionate person and have the tendency to hug people.

2. I have always shaken hands regardless of age, race, sex, religion, etc. I thought perhaps that in the this day and age of the world that business custom would transcend social custom. It is strange their are some men that will offer their hand. (Men are not permitted to touch women unless they are married) That said every male in my office shook my hand in a welcoming greeting. (I am actually more comfortable with complete strangers NOT shaking hands and nodding now that I have gotten over the initial shock of it all).

My new office is not quite yet finished. It is still under construction. They put me in The Chairmans office because he is in Germany for meetings. He has a beautiful office. Not bad for the first day however, I don't have the opportunity to enjoy it as I have to jump in with both feet..three executive meetings...and a visit to the 3 offices in Al Ain, plus picking up my car then driving to LuLu Hypermarket (hypermarket is the name here for somthing that makes the WalMart Super Stores look small) the laundry, and finally past the camel farm and back to the camp. I am ready for bed and have hit the wall.....

No comments: