Thursday, August 25, 2011

Disturbing Counter Productive Communication Trends (short version) 25 January 2011

Lately I have noticed an extremely disturbing counterproductive trend in communications. I'm not talking about using 50 cent words, being formal or pontificating. You can say things in extremely simple language and get your point across. I always try to be inclusive not exclusive in my dialogue.


What has become of polite well founded methods of communication. It seems people want to want to one up every one. Winning the "ARGUMENT"! This is not an argument, it is life, subject to change at all times.

I'm not talking or typing to hear or read myself. I want to engage! That is how I learn. I want people to communicate from their diverse perspectives. The more eyes, ears and perspective I can engage the more closely we can tailor solutions!

Communication seems to be spinning into a degrading online name calling match not just on Twitter but in media period. A virtual acronymfest. You shouldn't need a specialized dictionary to talk to someone.

People sense hostility sometimes even invent it online. If they don't understand something or the lexicon of language they either shut down, too afraid or embarrassed to ask or go on the defensive, hackles up and strike back.

Who does this help? No one.

I've witnessed Ad Hominum Attack's across the board, left, right, etc…The crap I have seen lately is atrocious, rude and just plain counter productive to any sort of dialogue.

You can disagree with people all day long BUT if your premise has any merit, logic or validity at all you would not have to resort to this methodology while trying of get your point across. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt the first time. I even admit (G_d forbid) when I have misunderstood something and go back and try to re think the issue.

Here are the ones I've witnessed in the last 30 seconds in my feed (not necessarily a representative sample but all too common): libtard, petty, bigoted, mean-spirited, lames, teahadists, capitalist pigs, etc…..

What does this accomplish? Nothing. It diminishes positions AND makes me NOT want to engage with you. If I notice this type of conversation your conversations with me stops. It is ok to disagree. But your position is completely diminished by your intolerable unfounded attacks. You know me from twitter or my blog, or a sound bite, picture piece of media etc. You have never walked a mile with me nor I with you.

So let's find a common ground and work from there. The hasty tempers provoked by insults divide us not bring us together.

Divided we WILL fall…Together we will rise and be unstoppable.

Be well, supply avenues to understanding and peace will come. Open your mind, your heart and leave your rhetorical attacks at home.

Hoping for peace, global solidarity with hugs to the world,

S


No comments: