Sunday, July 18, 2010

Why I use social media (as of today) and other random tidbits

Lots of people ask me why I tweet/use social media (facebook). (I could write a thesis on this one but the article below articulates a portion of why I do what I do better than I ever could).

So THE short answer: Social media for me provides a platform of interconnectivity that enables innovation through technology. Brilliant people with amazing ideas that I would have never known existed and never have never met in person (maybe never will) however, I am given the opportunity to not only keep in touch with family but participate in driving the way we evolve as a society.

Ideas are no longer developed and fostered in a vacuum or lay buried until some archaeologist discovers them long after the author is dead.

I usually get dinner on my way home from work. Over the past few months I have had the chance to develop another "Greek family". (Another topic for a blog when I don't have 2 presentations give in the morning!)So here we are and I start talking to the line cook. I see a sparkle in his eyes when he looks at my evening reading material. So I ask him the question I ask everyone I work with: "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

His response: "A brilliant scientist like Tesla." I respond "What fascinates you in particular about Nikola Tesla? Is it a particular part of his work or his person overall?" He proceeds to pull out his pen and explain, draw and write formulas on a cocktail napkin about alternative power generation, parity and scribbles the address of his video's he has made and posted on YouTube.

So I tell him I will have a look and give him some feedback.

What I find astonishes me: This guy without a high school diploma is building advanced physics projects made out of junk(old microwave oven parts, bicycle wheels whatever he can salvage. He is looking for an Oscilloscope on EBay currently, If you know of a "realllllly" inexpensive one give me a shout)!

So we start exchanging emails while I am traveling.

They start with these:

S,

I'll make this short . I know you are tired and worn out.

If you know anyone who may enjoy some wild stuff

I've found a connection between falling electric fields and
time collapse fields.

I know it sounds crazy.
As Einstein said if it's not crazy it probably won't work.
It's probably the end of your work day now.

Thank you for listening
Get some rest

T**

S

Here are a few web sites to give you an idea about remote viewing.

Take a quick look , Let me know what you think.
Good, bad, whatever.
I enjoy your feedback.

http://www.technicalremoteviewing.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_viewing

http://www.remoteviewing.com/

I have a great time talking with you

Thank you so much.

T**

And that how it all started...

A brilliant man working 24yrs in a diner cooking and never given the opportunity to excel. With social media he not only has a platform for discovery but a voice to participate and collaborate.

I hope to be able to give him the opportunity that he has needed all of these years. I'm trying to figure out a way to get T** an internship or someone who would like to mentor him better than the stressed out CIO who's brain is dead when she lands in the seat at the diner at 930pm after work.

So back to the topic at hand:

Why am I so passionate about social media: Simple I have a voice, I can participate and I can enable change for evolution forward not backward. So why do I do what I do? I do it to repair the damage previously done by either lack of knowledge, greed or just plain stupidity...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/18/magazine/18web2-0-t.html?_r=2

No comments: