Friday, July 4, 2008

4th of July on Guam

Fourth of July/Wet Down/Kid Welcome Home Party

What did I do when I arrived on Guam? Made friends with the usual cast of
characters. However my cast of characters now are much more, shall we say
"colorful" (although I have been known to hang with a rather diverse range
of individuals depending on who you speak too)than the usual crowd in
Greenwich and its nearby environs.

Hosted a bunch of Marines visiting from Okinawa for my 1st annual Hess
Family Fourth of July extravaganza. This year we have a lot to celebrate,
Kids arrived on Guam safely. Cool place to hang out for a few years,
Julianne (my kids new kick butt marine chick friend) and Okinawa Drew were
both promoted to Captain in the Marine Corps so we had a "Wet Down" (a party
thrown by the guys getting promoted). And of course the American holiday,
The fourth of July....and the flag is still here.

Marines

Marines get a bad rap... have to tell you... (in case you had not heard
according to legend...they like strip clubs, getting naked, screaming,
closing down bars and fighting everyone and everything that moves.) I am
officially reporting:

NO I did not get kicked out of US Navy housing due to marines dancing naked,
screaming and beating on each other on top of my roof. They were all very
well behaved (it helped that they were the "older" wiser versions of their
18yr old grunts that were downtown hanging out in Tumon. I have to say it
is a really good thing I was in the Army and not in the marines (although I
don't have the natural proclivity to scream, fight or get naked in front of
lots of people) I definitely would be naked dancing on a roof if I knew I
was the first one going into Baghdad right now...so can you blame them if
they are a bit rowdy and kicking it up? I certainly cant. I would be too.
They did get on the roof (only at the urging of the kids) ...they went with
the kids in their new "tree house" which is at the top of my carport (my
car doesn't arrive till the end of august so it is a great use for currently
unused space... maybe we can put some lawn furniture up there) They are a
tremendous group of individuals, I am proud to have at my home as friends.

Back to the fun. The next day, Christian was able to live every boys dream.
Drive a bomb robot (pick up a water bottle with it), play soldier and not
get shot at "for real" as he says. When I explained the ugliness of war to
him, he decided he loves to play with the gear, but does not have the
propensity to be a fighter. Thus, he quickly decided that he would like to
be a senator on the armed services committee. Then he can go check out the
gear and make sure all "the guys" have the right equipment but not worry his
mom. Make sure you all vote for him so I don't spend many sleepless nights
like all of the other mothers.... More on this theory later.

Sophia and I picked up coconuts. Had a wonderful Navy guy husk one for us,
drank the milk and ate the coconut. Not bad for 2 days on the island.

Much more to come as there is never a dull moment.

Next up: Earthquakes and Car Washes, Sea Kayaking with "Colonel Mustard"
(no not the one in the library), Seals landing in the back yard with
parachutes.....and LIBERATION DAY!

Many hugs from island paradise,

Write soon,

Susan


No comments: